|Distance||44.2 miles (71.13km)|
|Ascent||2107ft (615m) approximately|
|Start / Finish||Market Place, Market Rasen|
|Parking||Parking at John Street Car Park (fees apply).|
|Refreshments||Market Rasen has a number of places to get refreshments. At Minting there is The Sebastonol Inn and The Durham Ox can be found in Thimbleby. In Horncastle there are a several places to get refreshments including the The Old Stables. At Belchford there is the excellent Blue Bell Inn and further on The Post and Pantry is open Monday to Saturday.|
This is a ride into the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds. It follows mainly country roads and lanes with only a few stretches on major roads. Most to the climbs are on the second half of the ride but none are too daunting. On the journey you will pass through a number of small villages that were mentioned in the Domesday Book. At Hatton it may be possible to see the deserted medieval village, but only a faint outline remains now. As you pass through Minting you will be riding through one of four Thankful Villages in Lincolnshire, a village that did not lose someone in the First World War. The delightful village of
Thimbleby with its thatched cottages has had the church tower rebuilt because during its construction magnesium lime was mixed with the mortar, which is toxic especially when used with limestone. Horncastle is a delightful market town and once away from the main coast bound traffic it is a delight to wander around the town. Once the climbing starts you will be treated to stunning views of the Lincolnshire Wolds as you continue to pass through picturesque villages.
- From the Market Place in Market Rasen turn left and at the crossroads traffic lights turn right towards Linwood and Wragby.
- Continue on this road for 3.1 miles (5km) until you reach a crossroads. The main road continues around the corner, but you will need to take the road straight ahead towards Bleasby Moor and West Torrington.
- Take the first turning on the left to Bleasby Moor and follow this road for a mile (1.6km) until you reach a T-junction.
- Turn right at the T-junction and cycle to East Torrington where you should follow the signs to East Barkwith.
- At the A157 turn left and then take the first turning on the right to Panton. Be wary as you turn off as it is on a bend.
- Follow this road for 1.4 miles (2.25km). Go around a sharp bend at Panton and take the first turn on the left signposted to Sotby.
- Continue on this road riding towards Hatton. At the next junction turn right and then left continuing to Hatton.
- Follow this road for 2 miles (3.2km) until the A158 is reached. Go straight across heading to Minting.
- At the T-junction turn right and then left signposted Minting and Wispington.
- Follow this road through Minting and at the T-junction turn left and at the next junction turn right.
- Continue down this road for 3.5 miles (5.6km) until you reach the junction with the B1190. Go straight on to Thimbleby.
- After riding through Thimbleby turn right at The Durham Ox. At the end of the road turn right and follow the B1191 to the traffic lights.
- At the traffic cross the A158 and enter Horncastle.
- After exploring Horncastle follow Louth Road out of the town. As you reach the outskirts of Horncastle turn right to Low Toynton and Fulletby.
- Continue on this road slowly climbing for the next 3.2 miles (5.1km). At the end of the road is an amazing vista of the Lincolnshire Wolds looking towards Salmonby.
- Turn left and ride to Belchford.
- At the junction in Belchford turn left riding pass The Blue Bell Inn before climbing out of the valley.
- At the top of the hill you will meet the A153. Turn right onto it and follow it for the next 2 miles. Ignore the first turning on the left but take the next one signposted to Asterby.
- A short distance down this road turn right towards Asterby, Stenigot and Donnington on Bain. You will follow this road for the next 6.5 miles (10.5km) passing through Donington on Bain and crossing the B1225 until you reach South Willingham.
- At the junction in South Willingham turn right and follow the road up to the A157. Join the A157 for a short distance before turning left signposted Hainton and Sixhills.
- Keep on this road as drops and climbs to Sixhills. At Sixhills there is a descent towards North Willingham, but near the bottom you will need to turn left and descend towards Little London.
- After nearly 2 miles (3.2km) of descent turn right at the T-junction and follow this road back to Market Rasen.
- At the end of the road turn left again to go back to the start of the ride.
GPX file for Market Rasen to Horncastle Market_Rasen_-__Horncastle