|Distance||23.9 miles (38.5km)|
|Grade||Moderate, one challenging hill|
|Ascent||952ft (290m) approximately|
|Start / Finish||Market Rasen|
|Parking||John Street Car Park|
|Refreshments||Various cafés and pubs in Market Rasen, The Salutation Inn and Dunn Deal Tearooms in Nettleton|
This ride from Market Rasen takes us mainly on fairly flat terrain with only one major climb to cycle up. The ride takes you through Middle Rasen, Osgodby, Claxby, Holton le Moor, Moortown, Nettleton and Walesby following mainly quiet country roads and lanes. There is one a short stretch on the A46 where care needs to be taken.
The route teases you at first, as it takes you close to the entrance to the Wolds and then away again, only to allow you to climb to the top of the ridge further on in the ride. Nettleton Hill is reputed to be the most challenging hill in the Lincolnshire Wolds and being like a lot of the hills in this area is short but punchy. You begin the climb in the village and continue to climb for 0.75 miles (1.2km)with the last hundred metres or so ramping up to 15%. Getting to the top is what this ride is all about. From the top you can see a huge chunk of West Lindsey spread out before you and, as an added bonus at the very top, you are very close to the highest point in Lincolnshire. The descent down Walesby Hill is fast and exhilarating.
1. Starting from the market place in Market Rasen the route heads out along the A631 towards Middle Rasen.
2. At Middle Rasen join the A46 for around 200m before turning right into the village and onto quieter roads. Continue through the village and turn right again at the T-junction.
3. Follow the road around and up the hill, where you will continue around the corner. At the junction turn left to pick up an undulating road that climbs to Top Road, A1103.
4. Go straight over at the crossroads on to Sand Lane but take care as cars travel at speed along this stretch.
5. At the bottom of Sand Lane turn right and follow the road until you reach the A46.
6. WARNING: Care needed. Turn left onto the busy A46 and take the first turning on the right to Claxby.
7. Continue along this road,over the level crossing, to Claxby, ignoring any side roads. Along the way you will see some lovely views of the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.
8. Pass through Claxby, which has been in existence since the 9th century and possibly even earlier, and continue along the road, over the level crossing and at the T-Junction turn left up the incline.
9. This takes you back to the A46. Turn right and almost immediately turn left to Holton le Moor. Holton le Moor boasts a grade ll listed Anglian church and the Moot Hall, which you will ride past. The Moot Hall looks to have been built several centuries ago, but was in fact commissioned by Revd Thomas George Dixon, the village squire, in 1910.
10. Passing Moot Hall continue along the road until you reach Moortown. At the crossroads turn right to head towards Nettleton. Follow this road for around 1.5 miles until you return to the A46 again.
11. Turn left and then right at the Salutation Inn and keep on the road through the village, passing the excellent Dunn Deal tearooms.
12. Do not take any side turnings but continue out of the village and up towards Nettleton Hill.
13. Getting to the top is what this ride is all about. Look to the right and on a clear day most of West Lindsey stretches out before you. Continue along the road drinking in the views for 2 miles (3.2km).
14. At the first junction you get to turn left towards the B1225. Here you will pass the radar centre which is situated at the highest point of Lincolnshire, before riding into a dip and up the other side.
15. Turn right onto the B1225 and continue along this road for 1.5 miles (2.4km) before turning right towards Walesby. WARNING: Take care at this junction as it is on a slight bend and fast moving vehicles cannot always see you.
16. Follow the road as it makes its way to the top of Walesby Hill. At the crossroads turn right for a fast descent into Walesby. WARNING: At the bottom of Walesby Hill is a sharp left hand bend.
17. In Walesby go around the corner and pass St Mary’s Church. Follow this road for 2 miles (3.2km) to the T- junction.
18. Turn right at the junction and ride back into Market Rasen.
19. At the traffic lights turn right again to take you back to the start.
This ride’s GPX file: Claxby